Entente for all Windows except XP
The four languages just below install seamlessly in all Windows versions. The two additional ones work too, if you will perform one extra step, as described.
Instructions (you may wish to print this page.)
1. The program is now free. Write down the passwords for the program and as many languages as you wish. The passwords are on the previous page.
2. Download the files. You must start with the Program first. Then the languages.
Your browser may give you the choice "OPEN or SAVE?" Click "OPEN".
It may say something like Not known to Trust Provider -- OK to open? Say yes.
Vista asks many times if it's OK to continue. Just say Yes to everything.
Each file starts to install automatically, but prompts you for the password, which you simply fill in.
If it says the directory already exists, just press Enter. There will be duplicates, especially if you get several languages.
An Install program then runs automatically for each file. Just take the default values here -- whenever prompted, just hit Enter.
Repeat the process until you have all your languages. There is no need to restart the computer.
3. The program file includes a very truncated version of the manual. You can download the full manual from here, free, and it is not password protected. It requires the common utility Adobe Acrobat to display.
Click here to get it free from Adobe if you don't have it. Click for Adobe. Or you can download the Microsoft Word version.
4. Read Readme.txt, which appears automatically after the program installs. You must read the directions there or in the manual -- a translator is not just a word processor and it will not work if you don't read the rules.
To run the program open a Computer Shortcut window and go to C:\ ENT. Double-click on SEL and you're off. If you want, click once and then right click; select “create shortcut” and an icon appears on your desktop.
Then you can just double-click the SEL icon.
Get the Translator
You must get the program and each language you want. The program will not work without a dictionary (language), nor vice-versa. You only need one copy of the program no matter how many languages you get.
A. Program and small manual.(Download encrypted file)
B. Full manual, Adobe Acrobat (free download, first half, .6 meg)
(Second half, .6 meg)
C. Full manual, Word (free download, first half, 2 meg)
(Second half, 2 meg)
1. French (Download encrypted file)
2. Italian (Download encrypted file)
3. Portuguese (Download encrypted file) (Only the unaccented option will work.)
4. Spanish (Download encrypted file)
To install the languages below you must perform one extra operation, because Vista does not usually work right with our Install program.
When a DOS window with a green title “Express install step 1” at the top appears, just close the window. (Click the red x in the upper right corner.)
Now you have to move all the files from the directory c:\entempo\ent to the directory C:\ent. If you don't know how:
Open two “My Computer” windows (called “Computer Shortcut in Vista). In one, go to C:\ent. In the other c:\entempo\ent. Click there and press Ctrl and A to select all the files.
Right click and Copy all of them, then click on the C:\ent window, right click and Paste. Or just drag the files to C:\ent.
6. Chinese (Download encrypted file)
Only Mainland (Pin Yin) works. The four tone symbols may be wrong because the font does not display right in some versions of Windows
– but the symbols that do display -- ^,#, \,' -- are consistent and easily learned..
7. Japanese (Download encrypted file)
Only Romaji works.